Wednesday 2 July 2008

Heathrow

Well here I sit in Heathrow airport awaiting my flight to Jo'berg. Once I get to Jo'berg I hope my Lynch luck in last minute affairs come in to play as I have two hours from when we land till my flight leaves to Lusaka in which time I have to get my bags and check in. So fingers crossed I will make it. Sure it wouldn't be traveling with out a dash across an airport. I arrive then in Lusaka at 1250 (midday tomorrow) and Mary will then pick me up and by this time tomorrow I will be in Kabwe - my home for the next year. I don't know if anyone has been to terminal 5 in Heathrow lately. It is posh I was hoping to have a browse around the shops thinking it would be the usual monsoon etc. But no Terminal five contains Harrods, Dior and shops like that. A very big contrast to where I will sitting tomorrow. Well I am going to head now to pick up the newspapers and gin for the Irish of Kabwe who are starved of Irish news. It is amazing how much appreciated one is of the an Irish newspaper when in away. Well keep me updated on your lives and I will do the same my side.

1 comment:

Sophie said...

You are laden down with gin and newspapers and must be now in Kabwe, yes? I'm missing you already and fishing around for a photo of you to put on my mirror. I wore shorts today, not because the sun was out but because I'm sick of walking aroung in rain soggy trousers - oh Siobhan, no longer sun deprived! Hope you're settling in well xoxo Sophie

This blog will give you an insight into my life in Kabwe, Zambia as a work as a nurse in the Ranchhod Hospice, caring for patients living with HIV. Mary Chiddgey an Irish nurse 4 years ago founded the Ranchhod Hospice. The facility has 20 beds and cares for Adults and Children living with HIV/AIDS. Four Zambian nurses, care givers, cook, cleaners and laundry man all work in the Hospice. The Hospice provides a warm, friendly and peaceful environment for the patients and staff. With all the hardship of life and illness both patients and staff endure there is never a shortage of smiles and laughter. Affiliated with the hospice are also two children day centers that provide health care, nutrition and support to 120 orphaned children. The hospice also has an out reach programme that provides health care, food supplements and social support to the surrounding communities.