Tuesday 22 July 2008

Well another Sunday in Kabwe and the washing is done! Today we washed our sheets and as you can see from the picture it is not the usual throw in the machine wash but rather the hand – no well foot washing! It is a great day for drying though! I think everyday here is nearly a great day for drying. The weather lately has been cold in the mornings and at nights. For Irish standards it is brilliant and everyone would be out in t-shirts and shorts, Michelle and I are already zambianised and are wearing hoodies and complaining about the cold. Well I am finishing this blog on Monday evening and another mad night in Kabwe in bed before 9pm. Today we were finished work early so we sat out in the sun reading in what is the Zambian winter (I know how Irish to mentions of weather in one blog). I had such a happy moment in work today, I was going into the men’s ward today and there on the bed was a boy and in my head I was like that is Alpha. Alpha is a boy who was an inpatient in the Hospice the last time I was here. He was very sick with bad head sores, he was a little cutie as well as a little grumpy kid. Sometimes one would spend the whole morning coaxing him from a bad mood cause something hadn’t gone his way. But when he smiled he really smiled and I still have one of his pictures he drew me. Well today standing in front of me was a boy with a head of hair no sores looking strong and taller (if still very small for his age). If he wasn’t a teenager now I would have taken him up in my arms. It was amazing to sit and chat to him about how he was, he has good English. He is now 13 going to school with the dream of being a doctor and working in the hospice, on ARV’s and his only complaint was a cough. So I got him some medication and some lunch I ran around finding him things for school etc. I never wanted to spoil someone more. In all the hard stories of the hospice especially in recent times as we have had a lot of deaths there is hope and happiness. After work we went to the market, the last time I was here I never went to the local market and always had an idea that it would be a busy mad place where people hassled you a lot. It was surprising calm, with Zambian ladies with their stall set up with little pyramids of tomatoes, onions, potatoes with dried weird looking fish or caterpillars. One thing though is that every woman is selling exactly the same thing as the next women. So I wonder how they make money? They don’t market their things or call out wanting you to buy. So it is a mystery how they make money? I will try and discover more about these market women. On Friday Michelle and me are starting night duty 7, 14-hour night shift! Oh the joy. But then we get to do something exciting and we are heading to South Luangwa National Park to camp for a few days. Well till next time and keep me updated on what’s happening in your lives. Siobhan xxx

1 comment:

Sophie said...

So funny, I always wondered that about the Bolivian stall holders - how do they sell their vegetables and make money? Hope you find out Mma Siobhan, no.2 Lady Detective.

This blog will give you an insight into my life in Kabwe, Zambia as a work as a nurse in the Ranchhod Hospice, caring for patients living with HIV. Mary Chiddgey an Irish nurse 4 years ago founded the Ranchhod Hospice. The facility has 20 beds and cares for Adults and Children living with HIV/AIDS. Four Zambian nurses, care givers, cook, cleaners and laundry man all work in the Hospice. The Hospice provides a warm, friendly and peaceful environment for the patients and staff. With all the hardship of life and illness both patients and staff endure there is never a shortage of smiles and laughter. Affiliated with the hospice are also two children day centers that provide health care, nutrition and support to 120 orphaned children. The hospice also has an out reach programme that provides health care, food supplements and social support to the surrounding communities.